Saturday, September 18, 2004

Nigeria: Getting Cool & Other Profound Saturday Thoughts

Hekko again. I think Linda and I gravitated here to get cool -- takes
about 10 minutes of my 60 minuites to log on. These computers are old
and the mice require special attention. Right now it is 3 or so in
the afternoon on Saturday and things have been up and down. The down
was that last night was pretty bad. The toilet doesn't flush, the
light is poor (I swiped a light from another room to alleviate that
situation, and it was hard to get to sleep -=- then in the middle of
the night the electricity (and airconditioning) went out for 3 hours.
It was out this morning for 4 hours. Anyway by morning my room stunk
and I had had enough. I went to the receptionist and she asked me
what room I was in and she said -- oh, the toilet does not work in
that room. I asked if I could change rooms, and she said yes -- after
noon when the present guests left. So this morning I packed back up
my stuff (I had all my books out an! d stuff like that) and tried to
read books but it was hard. I was up at 5:30 ate a granola bar, took
my meds, and hung out. Linda didn't wake up until 10 -- so we went to
a table and tried to figure out what we could do under these changing
conditions. She liked some of my books. But we pretty much have to
stick to the script but it was helpful to hear her talk about
connections. I'll know a lot better Monday what we really are doing.
We are going to a town 45 minutes away by road, beep, beep -- and will
observe and then meet with about 70 teachers -- introductions or
something. Then we come back here for food because they think the
food here is safe. Who knows. The girls in this restarant take our
money and say they have no change. Today the guy who is coordinating
our educational events, Emeka came while we were waiting for lunch --
you order and it takes up to 45 minutes while they prepare it. And
Emeka rode the w! omen out about their treatment of us. Anyway --
after noon I changed rooms and took my light bulb with me. I hope it
will fit in a socket because in this new room the airconditioner
barely works and there is only one light in the bathroom which is
missing 1/3 of its tiles, but the toilet flushes (I checked).
The good part of the day was that Emeka took us to meet his department
chair who is a woman and who was absolutely wonderful -- in her home
(she drives a new toyota station wagon. In her home. Wemeet her
husband who is a professor, too. They have a daughter in Atlanta. We
had some good conversations about her sturggle to get women
recognition on campus. Then he drove us to campus to meet his dean.
He has invited them and their families to his home for lunch tomorrow
after church. He will pick us up at 9:15 and take us tohear him
preach (His dean is a preacher too) a pentacostal service. So
tomorrow should be very interesting.

By now my clothes are all dirty and it takes days for them to dry.
Linda suggested putting them out on the roof and I shall try that
today -- if it does not rain. I wish I had a skirt that was not hot --
we are soooooo hot. No air conditioning in cars -- but at least we
can open the windows. Well, Monday we go to our school and I can stop
worrying. I will feel more comfortable there -- 40 - 60 kids in a
class -- can you imagine?
Things I have noticed. Faculty have little buildings behind their
buildings for servants. Looks like old days in the South. People feel
free to call faculty at home.
People invite you to their home for meals.
Some people are very friendly (professional peole) and some are not
(waitresses). Everything in Nigeria is falling apart since the economy
went under. This whole campus is 20 years old -- nothing has changed,
and in 20 years, things deteriorate. I've already described how
pitiful the conference center is. It is all kind of sad. Up until 4
years ago a professor made 400 a year (dollars) now they make 4000
which is a livable wage. All cars are stick shift.
All cars have whiney horns.
All drivers drive like bats out of he__
OK I guess I exaggerate, but that is my experience so far. I really
can't wait till I get with the kids. Living here is very hard (all
kinds of flying insects in the cafeteria (and we are about the only
ones eating here) because when the electricity goes off they open the
sliding glass doors. I don't think I would eat there at all if Linda
were not here, but I feel obligated to keep her company and she me.
Linda is kinda cool. She is so good to be with as she can transcend
cultures having lived here for 2 years.
Well, I don't know how soon I will be able to get back here -- with
electric outages and committments -- certainly moset of tomorrow will
be taken up with church -- good thing I have that LLBean skirt -- it
will be sooooo hot -- but I can't wear -pants there. I am looking
forward to hearing Emeka preach and attending a real NIgerian service.
There is a temple here, a catholic church here and a Protestant
church here -- all official churches -- then there are a ton of other
unofficial churches of which his is one. The impact of missionaries
here is phenomomel. I am having mixed feelings about that. They
bring with them English and native languages die out -- like in
Alaska. They make people Christian and native religions die out. I
just think that is kinda sad. I wish I could find a flashlight. There
is a store for students on campus and sometime next week if we are
here in the afternoon I shall walk there and get one.

No comments:

Post a Comment